Injury Prevention and Safety

Hit my head

02/19/2007

Question:

Yesterday I`d went skiing with my fiance and on one of the larger hills I had "wiped out". I had been sliding on my skis trying to stop with out any relief, I put my rear on the ground and as soon as I did, I went straight back and hit the back of my head. I got up from the injury with out any help and even continued to ski. I had a headache. Before I went to bed, I started to notice pain in my neck and head to worsen. Went to sleep and when I got up this morning, I feel nauseated, my head throbs and even taking 6 ibropofin didn`t help "higher tolerance". I also have a very painful, stiff, swollen neck with painful, hard swallowing. I was very tired earlier but finally found a comfortable position to lay in. I took a little nap. I`m in pain and nothing is helping yet...

Answer:

I honestly believe you need to be seen by a physician as soon as possible. Injury to your head and neck is nothing to take a chance on. Please go to your nearest Level 1 emergency room where they will know best how to help you. I hope you feel better soon.

Go to the Injury Prevention and Safety health topic, where you can:

Mary M Gottesman, PhD, RN, CPNP, FAAN Mary M Gottesman, PhD, RN, CPNP, FAAN
Professor of Clinical Nursing