Root canal

02/20/2007

Question:

I had a re treatment of a root canal 2 days ago and i was put on antibiotics for it. i am having more pain than i did before it was done and i am still pushing infection out from around the gum . Is this normal?

Answer:

It is common to have pain or swelling after a root canal.  We see this with teeth that are painful before treatment and teeth that are not painful before treatment.  Usually the pain is the greatest in the first few days and then decreases, but it is normal for pain to last throughout a weeks time. 

If you are having a true "flare-up," the pain and swelling usually start in the first few hours to days and usually peak around day 3 and then come down throughout the week.  If you get any significant swelling or pain that is not resolving I would recommend that you contact your dentist/endodontist.

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics