Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Thyroid Diseases

Hypothyroidism Treatment



HI-I am a 43 yr old Female. Family History of Hypothyroidism-Mother diagnosed 20+ yrs ago at age 40ish-Mothers sister same diagnoses,same age. Brother diagnosed 3yrs ago at age 41. I just received my test results back= TSH 12.57 (out of range) all other tyroid seems in normal range T4 FREE 1.0 T4 TOTAL 7.4 T3 Uptake 29.6 T4 Free, calculated 2.19

The reason for my blood work-up is because I have been experiencing a prolonged menstrual cycle and a visit to a NEW gyn prompted her to do a blood work-up among other diagnostic test. Due to the findings of the thyroid, the GYN has referred me to an endocrinologist.

My question is I can`t get an appt until March 20th should I wait and see the doctor? I would like to. Or does it sound urgent and I should seek out another endo doctor.

Also the GYN said this could be the cause of the prologed mens. cycle? (Funny thing is 3 yrs ago I asked my old Gyn to do a thyroid test when my brother was diagnosed, the doctor told me it came back fine, but now looking at the results from then, the only thyroid listed on the lab results was the T4 total. I guess it wasn`t a thorough thyroid test because the TSH was never done!)

Also the new gyn ordered a transvaginal sonogram which showed 2 cyst on each ovary,(which she wants me to go back in 6 weeks and have done again) I`m giving you this additional info just because looking back through the previous questions answered by your group there has been some question regarding ovarian cyst and hypothyroism?? Thank you so much for your help.


What you have described is suggesting that you have a subclinical hypothyroidism or your thyroid hormone production is slightly lower than normal. It is well known that thyroid function abnormalities run in families, but what is not known is how much of your subtle thyroid disease contribute to your symptoms. Therefore, in agreement with your gynecologist decision, you will need to see an endocrinologist to check the thyroid antibodies and sort out the treatment options.

For more information:

Go to the Thyroid Diseases health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Marzieh  Salehi, MD Marzieh Salehi, MD
Assistant Professor of Endocrinology
College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati