Anxiety and Stress Disorders

Regaining Weight

02/22/2007

Question:

Because of emotional stress I lost 12-14 pounds of my weight. I feel a lack of energy, weak, and I have insomnia. After a lot of medical exams the doctors didn’t find anything I have to be worried. Could you advise me how to restore my weight and my normal body condition without taking medicine? I`m taking vitamin supplements, A-Z, but there is not effect.

Thank you.

Answer:

First of all, to gain weight, you have to ingest calories (from food), and vitamins and minerals do not contain calories.  They are called "supplements" because they add to what you take in with healthy eating.

Secondly, it is important that you also be assessed for depression, which often presents as decreased appetite, weight loss, poor sleep and other symptoms including loss of interest in pleasurable activities, sadness, tearfulness and decreased ability to concentrate.  Not all people have all these symptoms, and your physician or a mental health professional can help diagnose you.  There are also web sites where you can do some self-assessments as well -- see the web links.

You don't state whether you are still under emotional stress.  If you are, it is important you look for healthy ways to deal with stress.  Check out the stress management information on the NetWellness site for more information.

Good Luck.

Depression screening test

Go to the Anxiety and Stress Disorders health topic, where you can:

Nancy   Elder, MD Nancy Elder, MD