Exercise and Fitness

Fitness level

04/06/2007

Question:

What is the definition of a high fitness level ? I want to do a concern challenge and it state s you have to be of high fitness level but i cant find out what thet really mans I should be able to do ...any guidelines ?

Answer:

The term "physical fitness" can been defined in many ways.  Most definitions of physical fitness refer strictly to the capacity for movement:  A set of attributes that people have or achieve that relates to the ability to perform physical activity (American College of Sports Medicine Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription).  Therefore a high level of fitness refers to having an increased capacity for a broad array of fitness components, some of which relate to athletic performance.

Components of a fitness program can include cardiorespiratory endurance, body composition, muscular strength and endurance, and flexibility.  Exercise testing can help identify any areas you may want to improve upon prior to beginning an exercise program.  Best of luck to you in all of your exercise programming.    

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

David   Carroll David Carroll
Fitness Instructor
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley