Stroke

Supratentorial chronic ischemic change

02/27/2007

Question:

my father had mri .he is 65 very active,but been feeling bad for a few months . he will tell me the same thing over at times..his mri results, microangiopathic signal abnormality at the external capsule on the right side presumably representing chronic lacunar ischemic change...impression - minimal supratentorial chronic small vessel ischemic change as described...my father also has bilateral masses on adrenal glands. nodules on lung. the only thing his dr. has told him is he may have old granulomatosis.nothing on the brain mri yet..i have tried to get him to go to another dr. ,but he says this one is close to home..

Answer:

I am not sure what your question is.  If you are asking me whether his MRI results can explain his symptoms (vaguely described as feeling bad), I will not be able to do so.  As you seem to insinuate, the MRI findings are nonspecific and therefore  they are most likely unrelated to whatever symptoms he is experiencing.  It sounds as though he has other medical problems that could explain his ill feelings.  I would encourage you to continue to seek care either with his local physician, or perhaps by obtaining a second opinion if you feel that one is warranted.

Go to the Stroke health topic, where you can:

Brett   Kissela, MD Brett Kissela, MD
Director, Neurology Residency Program