Breast Feeding

Out of milk

02/26/2007

Question:

I was feeding my newborn and I have no more milk left. The baby is still hungary, and my ped. won`t even talk about a breast pump or formula. What can I try or do?

Answer:

What a supportive health care provider you’ve found. Many women resort to using artificial breast milk (formula) when they babies are hungry, or they feel that they are making enough milk.

First, how do you know your baby isn’t getting enough to eat? Is he gaining weight? Does he have 5 or more wet diapers in a day? Many babies like the feelings of being nursed. They enjoy the close contact with mom, and the sucking, so they may want to spend a long time at the breast. Then when moved they wake up and begin to suck, as if they are hungry, when they frequently aren’t. If you want to increase your milk supply make sure that you are nursing your baby every 2 to 3 hours. Remember that milk production is based on demand. The more you nurse, the more milk you will make. Listen for sucking followed by swallowing. These are indications that you baby is getting milk.

Now don’t forget about you!! Are you eating a nutritional diet? Are you eating fruits and vegetables along with protein? Are you drinking liquids? You should be drinking at least 2 to 3 liters of fluid per day. (you urine should be colorless to light yellow, if its dark yellow you are not drinking enough) Are you getting enough rest? You should be getting more sleep than you previously felt you needed. The sleep that you are currently getting is broken, and fatigue can affect milk supply.

Good luck with breastfeeding. Getting settled into a routine is challenging, and takes some time.

Go to the Breast Feeding health topic, where you can:

Tina   Weitkamp, RNC, MSN Tina Weitkamp, RNC, MSN
Associate Professor of Clinical Nursing