Pain Management

Chronic Calf Pain After Accident

03/14/2007

Question:

I have had a pain in my calf muscle and behind my knee for 3 years now, but it only hurts when I drive or am not active for long periods of time, The only thing I could think of that would of caused it would be when a car back into the side of my leg, I was wondering what it could be and what I could do to fix it because I drive for a living now and it hurts all the time now.

Answer:

There could be several causes for the pain, but first, one has to rule out an underlying knee injury that may be present.

There may be an inflammation or irritation of the some of the knee complex structures (Patellar tendonitis, Plica syndrome, Baker's cyst).

Finally the most common cause of knee pain, especially in women, with sitting for prolonged periods (ie driving) is patellofemoral syndrome in which there is a tracking disorder of the patella because muscle weakness. This is a very common finding in many sports medicine clinics and is treated with physical therapy to strengthen the quad muscles.

The calf pain may be related to the above because the biomechanics may be disrupted secondary to knee pain.

Go to the Pain Management health topic, where you can:

Salim M Hayek, MD, PhD Salim M Hayek, MD, PhD
Associate Professor of Anesthesiology & Perioperative Medicine