Breast Feeding

Medication for fungal infection

02/26/2007

Question:

Thank you for your reply on `Supplementing my breastfed baby`. It turned out that my baby did have residual or recurrent oral thrush at the back of her mouth. The doctor gave nystatin oral suspension for her. When I asked if I should be treated, the doctor said it was not neccessary. Another peadiatrician said the same.

I brought my breast milk for culture and there was yeast. So, i should be treated. Just wondering, what is normally prescribed for treating fungal infection in a nursing mother. I do not have any symptoms of redness on my nipple. However, occasional stingy feeling after nursing...sometimes.

Thank you

Answer:

If you are having deep, shooting stinging pains into the breasts, The treatment is Diflucan, 200 mg the first day and 100 mg daily thereafter for the next 13 days.

If the stinging is just in the nipple, you need vinegar water rinses to the nipples and Nystatin cream after each breastfeeding session and a clean paper nursing pad over that.

Your nipples need to be treated that way also if you are taking the Diflucan.

Baby needs to be treated all the while you are being treated, even if the mouth looks clear to the naked eye.

Go to the Breast Feeding health topic, where you can:

Jeanne L Ballard, MD, FAAP, FABM Jeanne L Ballard, MD, FAAP, FABM
Professor Emeritus, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology