Complementary Medicine

Omega 3 Supplements

02/26/2007

Question:

I am allergic to all types of fish, but would like to get omega 3`s into my diet. I also have diverticulosis, so nuts/seeds, like flax seed are also out of the question. I am wondering about the safety of supplements. Will those trigger my allergy? Are there omega 3 supplements that don`t contain fish oils?

Answer:

This question has been forwarded by Diet and Nutrition:

The plant omega-3 are only converted at a rate of 0.2% so 99.8% go to produce the chronic diseases from plant oils, omega-6; so there currently are no useable omega-3 plant oils that are useable in humans. Rats convert them well so much of the claims made for flax oil, etc are based on rat experimentation, but not recent human studies

As you know, fish allergy is generally to the flesh, not the oil but you would need to proceed cautiously with fish oil with your personal physician after your rast tests are run for anchovies and sardines, the fish used for the liquid form.

Go to the Complementary Medicine health topic, where you can:

Glen F Aukerman, MD, DABFP Glen F Aukerman, MD, DABFP
Professor of Family Medicine