Braces

Braces

03/02/2007

Question:

I feel that my braces moved my top teeth outward, when do they get adjusted to go back to "normal"? Or will my bottom teeth need to be moved to fit with the top? If my bottom teeth are straight, will moving them create spaces between the teeth?

Answer:

These questions are best answered by your orthodontist who has studied your problem.  He/she bases the position of where the front teeth should be based on their current position and your lip line needs.  If the upper teeth need to be brought to the correct angle, then it may be necessary to move all the lower teeth forward until the correct teeth line up when you close your jaw. There should be no spaces unless some of the upper front teeth are smaller than average size and need bonding. Please ask the assistant if you can ask the doctor these questions.

Go to the Braces health topic, where you can:

Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS
Professor Emeritus - Clinical, Associate of Dentistry