Effects of Anesthesia

03/07/2007

Question:

I had a lumpectomy last week. While I was in recovery my blood pressure dropped and also had a minor temperature. The next day I had terrible muscle pain, my neck, my rib cage, my lower back and both calves were tight that I felt like I had been in a car accident. Over the next few days, the pain subsided, one area at a time and no more musclea pain and tightness. But now I occasionaly feel light headed and dizzy. I`m 61 and in good help. Could all of this be effects from the anesthesia?

Answer:

Most likely you were given a drug called succinylcholine as part of your anesthetic.

This is a topic on which I've written before.  Please refer to the answer below.

Although muscle pain sometimes occurs after other muscle relaxant drugs, and even without muscle relaxants being given at all, the pain you've described is fairly typical of the major discomfort that occurs in some people after succinylcholine. Fortunately, as you've discovered, the pain does eventually go away.

The low blood pressure, slight temperature, light-headedness and dizziness can't really be explained based on anything you've told me. All these symptoms can occur after general anesthesia and surgery, in association with all the different anesthetic and pain medications and the mental and physical trauma of the operation itself.

SEVERE Muscle and Joint Pain after Surgery

Gareth S Kantor, MD Gareth S Kantor, MD
Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology