7yr old root canal- pain only when hot liquid

03/02/2007

Question:

I am seriously wondering what in the world? I am 30 and have had 7 root canals in my life. Never had a problem, exept one went bad once after a few years and had to be extracted. Now i have a root canal that is 7 years old and when I drink hot, or even just warm liquids or foods, the old root canaled tooth freaks out. Then it dies down. No aching all day, just immediate reaction to warm and hot, not cold. Plus for the last 6 months it has pinched nerve feeling when I chew on dense foods. What in the world? It seems to be getting worse. What is going on? Any advise?

Answer:

The best advice is to have your dentist or a root canal specialist look at the area and evaluate the teeth present and the symptoms you have been experiencing. The pain could be from another tooth and just feels like it is from the one with the root canal. The pinched nerve feeling could be coming from a cracked tooth. It is just too difficult for me to say with the limited information I have. Again, have your dental care provider take a look and do some tests.

John M Nusstein, DDS John M Nusstein, DDS
Associate Professor of Endodontics