Newborn and Infant Care

Head size

03/27/2007

Question:

Hi, My four month old daughter has a head size of 39%, weighs 97%, and is 100% long. His anterior fontanelle is closed. The doctor raised concern about his head size and said we would need to check it in two month again. if it does not grow much he would send me for a CT. what do you think about his head size and the fact that his fontanelle is closed at four months instead of normal 9-18 months thank you so much for your help

Answer:

This is really difficult to answer because of not knowing the full history. The head size does seem small in comparison to the other measurements. If you are NOT comfortable with the information given to you by your child's health care provider, you should seek a second opinion with pediatric neurologist, or if you live in city with a children’s hospital, you can try their craniofacial team.

Go to the Newborn and Infant Care health topic, where you can:

Tina   Weitkamp, RNC, MSN Tina Weitkamp, RNC, MSN
Associate Professor of Clinical Nursing