Prostate Cancer

Determining the Effect of Cancer on the PSA

I was diagnosed in November 2006 with prostate cancer. My initial PSA was 7 in January 2006. In November it was 38.3. A subsequent biopsy disclosed two samples in 12 malignant, both in the same area and 30% of the sample. Gleason 3+4=7. My staging is T1C. A second PSA in December was 24 and after 30 days of Cipro, my PSA had dropped to 15. The biopsy also noted "focal acute and cronic inflammation". I am currently on Lupron (3 month) and will be starting Proton Beam Radiation in April. Is there any way to determine my real PSA as related to the adenocarcinoma?

Not necessarily, several factors can influence the PSA, including cancer and inflammation. There is no good way to determine elevated PSA just as a result of cancer. Percent free PSA can help differentiate this some, but it is not perfect.

Go to the Prostate Cancer health topic, where you can:

Lee E Ponsky, MD Lee E Ponsky, MD
Associate Professor of Urology