Stroke

Numbness in head after a `head explosion`

03/26/2007

Question:

In December I was eating and an explosion of excrutiating pain happened in my head, with temporary loss of eyesight, hearing, and I couldn`t speak or walk. This lasted approximately 10 min. with major fatigue for a few days. Within days the left side of my head became numb with waves of pain, blurred vision, intermittant hearing loss,and dizzines. It is now March and these symptoms still persist. An MRI was done which showed an inflammatory process involving the perifascial tissues, adjacent to the medial pterygoid on the left, extending into the left parotid gland, punctate white matter hyperintensities on the right. CT scan was normal. Blood work -ANA was positive, diffused, speckled, titers 1:2560, C Reactive protein elevated (00.0-3.00 normal) - mine was 12.40, C3 levels elevated. Bone Scan showed a focus of increased osteoblastic activity in the left lower frontaloparietal region. I have been to a neurologist, an ENT, and a rheumatologist who all agree there is something wrong in the head but have no idea what it is. I have had thyroid cancer but thyroglobulin levels are normal. Could you please help put the pieces of this puzzle together and share an opinion as to what this could be? Thank you.

Answer:

I'm afraid that it is simply not possible for me to render a meaningful opinion about your case via email.  To help you, any physician will need to perform a full history and physical exam, as well as a review of all the imaging studies.  It is not unreasonable to obtain a second opinion.  Even then, however, there is no guarantee that all of your collective physicians will be able to provide an answer.

I wish you the best of luck.

Go to the Stroke health topic, where you can:

Brett   Kissela, MD Brett Kissela, MD
Director, Neurology Residency Program