Pain and excessive saliva after root canals

03/19/2007

Question:

I have had a root canal on # 19 which was completed in a second session two days ago. I also had a root canal on # 20 two days ago (just one session). Since then I have had pain and excessive salivating. The pain responds to Tylenol which I take every six hours. It is nerve wracking. I have never experienced this before, there was no pain after a root canal I had some years ago on a front tooth. I am worried. It is the weekend and I cannot reach the endodontist who`s care I`m under. Is this normal?

Answer:

Hopefully by now you have spoken with your endodontist. It is not unusual to have pain following a root canal. Every root canal treatment is different. This means that even if you had a root canal before and had no pain, that may not be the case for a different tooth in your mouth. There are differences in the type of tooth infection and how your body reacts to them.

If there are no contraindications in your medical history, there are other medications that can help you get through this period of postoperative pain. If you haven't done so already, I would suggest speaking with your endodontist about other medications and a prediction of the length of postoperative pain depending on your original diagnosis.

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics