Root canal

03/26/2007

Question:

Hello, I have been in facail pain since Nov. and to many Drs trying to find the answer. I finally went to my dentist and demanded a root canel upper molar. He did the root canel and everytime he put a filling in it , it felt like a corked bottle ready to explode!!!! This all Started in January and is now March!! He tried this 3 times and at my request he reccomended an endontist to do the root canal overagain. And I did. Now 2 days later I have a temp filling but cannot not chew or even touch it without PAIN!!!. Should I just have it extracted? Or maybe could there be a crack in the tooth? What should I do?

Answer:

The tooth very well may be cracked. The endodontist most likely looked for a fracture but may not have been able to visualize it. I recommend calling the endodontist and see if he/she had any concerns about the tooth possibly being cracked. Follow-up with them to determine your next course of action. The pain may be simply due to a severe inflammatory reaction from the retreatment. This should resolve in a few days. You may need to take antibiotics. Again, call the endodontist and follow-up with them.

John M Nusstein, DDS John M Nusstein, DDS
Associate Professor of Endodontics