Prostate Cancer

Medicine for Reccuring of Prostate Cancer

04/17/2007

Question:

My father is 64 years old and was diagnosed with PC, stage 4 and spread to the bone. He had the RP done in Nov 2006, and the PSA dropped to 1.8 from 20 after surgery. The Gleason score was 5+5. Two weeks ago he found his urine was pinkish and then took another test of psa, the result was 10.1 in one hospital and was 17 in another, which was only 3 days later. Does that mean that the cancer reoccurent? We are told that he can take either DES or Casodex, and we decided to take Casodex. Our question is why the PSA rise so dramatically within only 4 month after surgery, does that mean the surgery was not performed well or we should have taken the medicine earlier? Which medicine do you consider better for patient like my father? Thank you for your help.

Answer:

It means he has recurrent disease and this is not surprising with a Gleason 5+5 which is an aggressive tumor.

Though there are many approaches I suggest he discuss the use of LHRH analogs with your father.  Common medications include Lupron or Zoladex.  I suggest you discuss this with the physician caring for your father.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Go to the Prostate Cancer health topic, where you can:

Martin I Resnick, MD Martin I Resnick, MD
Formerly, Professor of Urology