Dental and Oral Health (Children)

Toddlers missing teeth

05/14/2007

Question:

I have twins that are 28 months old. My daughter has all of her baby teth but my son is missing both of his 2nd teeth (between his front and eye teeth) on the top. I am concerned that if the teeth still try to come in there is not enough room or will they maybe never come though. He is biting objects alot but doesn`t appear to be in any discomfort. Thank you.

Answer:

The usual age of eruption of the upper lateral incisor (the tooth you described very well) is between 9 and 13 months. Since it hasn't erupted by the age of 28 months, it is probably missing altogether. This particular tooth is one that is commonly missing.

Looking to the future, it is likely that the permanent tooth underneath is missing as well, but it's too early to tell about the permanent tooth even with an x-ray. There are no health problems that result from the absence of the lateral incisor in the primary or permanent teeth, but if it is a cosmetic problem it can be managed once the permanent teeth are in place.

There are many options for correcting a cosmetic problem, and the treatment choice will need to be individualized to your child.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Children) health topic, where you can:

Ann A Griffen, DDS, MS Ann A Griffen, DDS, MS
Professor of Pediatric Dentistry