Pain after root canal?

03/29/2007

Question:

I had root canal treatment 2 weeks ago on #31 (or #18), I still have pain, the pain is almost same as before , its a mild pain. I been to the dentist after that again and he said it might be due to material he filled in, which made no sense to me. He hit the tooth with the metal stick and it gave pain at that moment, but the pain doesnt occur with cold or hot or when I eat but it still continues after 2 weeks. He also mentioned during treatment he filled 4 canals and one has a fork end .

And when I got home I hit the tooth with a metal stick too, I have a bigger pain when I hit horizontally ( I dont know if this may indicate anything)

Should I wait more or see another doctor?

Answer:

Having some discomfort after a root canal is not uncommon. This is due to an inflammatory process necessary for healing. Discomfort within the first couple of weeks can be well within the normal range. However, if your symptoms don't start to improve or new symptoms develop, I would see your dental professional. If you would like another evaluation, an endodontist (who specializes in root canal therapy) would be another option.

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics