Bipolar Disorder (Children and Adolescents)

Helping an Adult With Bipolar Disorder

04/02/2007

Question:

My boyfriend just told me that he has bipolar disorder. He has been really distant and not himself lately and when I confronted him, he told me about it. We have been together about 10 months and it hasn`t been until recently that I`ve noticed anything. He says he doesn`t take medicine because of the side effects. I don`t want this to change our relationship, but what can I do to help him? And how can I talk to him about it? Is it possible to control this without medication or therapy?

Answer:

Unfortunately, I can't answer your question specifically because my specialty is childhood bipolar disorder, and we currently do not have an expert in adult bipolar disorder at this time.  You might find David J. Miklowitz's book, "The Bipolar Disorder Survival Guide: What You and Your Family Need to Know" helpful. It has a great deal of information about BP and its treatments.

Best wishes.

Go to the Bipolar Disorder (Children and Adolescents) health topic, where you can:

Nicholas   Lofthouse, PhD Nicholas Lofthouse, PhD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Psychiatry