Heat sensitive feet

04/05/2007

Question:

During hot weather my feet feel really hot especially after a long walk and within a week I get red blisters and sometimes even water-filled blisters. Is there a way to avoid this and this is normal and why does this happen?

Answer:

It is not clear whether the heat is accompanied by increased sweating as well. If it is, powders like Zeasorb could help. Choice of footwear may be critical here, as some materials allow the feet to "breathe better" than other materials. Blisters could come from friction (the rubbing against footwear, especially after long walks). As long as they do not get secondarily infected, they heal well. Occasionally, blisters on the feet could be due to some fungal infection. In this scenario, it could be accompanied by itching and scaling. Many other inflammatory dermatoses could cause blisters on the feet. A visit with a physician would help.

Elma D Baron, MD Elma D Baron, MD
Associate Professor of Dermatology
Director, Skin Study Center