Crown after root canal

04/06/2007

Question:

I never got the crown put on when I had my root canal ( I was like 14 and did not know) I`m now 20 and I am having to have tooth completely removed. My question is, I`m having to wait a few weeks before I go the the surgeon to save for money, but my tooth will just start randomly bleeding several times a day. What can that mean?

Answer:

I can't really tell you what this means without knowing what is wrong with your tooth. I know you said that you never had a crown done and that the tooth needs to be removed. I'm not sure why it needs to be removed so I am guessing that they said it is cracked. It is possible that if the tooth is cracked and infected, you could be getting some drainage from the infection that might be bloody. Usually, a little drainage is not a problem. The real concern starts when there is swelling or a fever.

All this is just a guess because I have not evaluated you. If you are concerned, I would address this question to the person who evaluated you and determined that this tooth needed to be extracted.

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics