Effects of Mixing Adderall and Alcohol

I have recently started taken Adderall a few months ago. It has really helped me a lot on many levels. I hear of some people taken the drug for partying and it saddens me. I trying to do research on the effects of Adderall and Alcohol, and all I can come up with are people who abuse it and take them at the same time. Here is my story. I not a big drinker and well I only been on Adderall a short time, and it states nowhere on the bottle or on the print out from the pharmacy that you are not to drink alcohol with this medication. I took a 20mg pill around 8 am and had my first drink around 10pm, that night, and within 15 minuets I was plastered. I don’t drink all the time but that has NEVER happen to me in my life and I am 30 now. Did the Adderall, cause this to happen?

Stimulant medications such as four dexedrine salts (Adderall ), dexedrine, methylphenidate (Ritalin, Metadate, Methylin, Daytrana, Concerta) or lisdexamfetamine (Vyvanse) should NOT be taken with alcohol. They form a new chemical that is even stronger on the brain and can make you less able to have control over yourself. I worry about things like driving (Oh, I can always drive fine on one drink), date rape, physical injuries, and just plain making a fool of one's self.

Susan Louisa Montauk, MD
Formerly Professor of Family Medicine