Dental and Oral Health (Seniors)

Why is there a `bone` growing on the outside?

04/20/2007

Question:

Four years ago I had my upper teeth pulled and a denture made. Six months ago I had implants on my bottom teeth, then had the teeth pulled and the bottom denture installed. It snaps onto the implant posts. On the lower right a knot has formed. Also, one has formed on the upper left. It is a hard knot, and feels like a bone. The upper one is really sore and the bottom denture hits against it and I cannot chew on that side.

My dentist is at a loss as to what this is and sent me to a "specialist." The specialist said not to worry, if it bothers me (which it does), I could have my dentist grind it down. (Sounds like a lot of pain to me). What should I do from this point? Surely someone else in this world has had this same problem. What can be done? Thank you!

Answer:

Sounds like bone that was not removed properly after the extractions and needs to be remodel or removed in order to allow the dentures to seat well.

Your choice are:

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Seniors) health topic, where you can:

Alfredo  Hernandez, DDS, MS Alfredo Hernandez, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Comprehensive Care
School of Dental Medicine