Stroke

About my father

08/09/2007

Question:

My dad had a minor stroke in October 2006 and December 2006 but went into hospital on 4 February 2007 with fluid on the lung and he had a major stoke in hospital. It is since February that his speech has been affected. First thing in the morning you can understand him better but as he gets tired through out the day it gets worse. He seems to be able to formulate the odd word in the morning but it is very quite - sort of whispering. Later he is only able to get the occasional word out and that is only if he gets frustrated and tries to shout. Mostly it seems to be that he is formulating very simple words but has more difficulty in getting the speech clearly spoken. I hope the above has clarified things. If not please let me know and I will try again. The stroke has affected the right side of his body and, therefore, unable to write but he does have an alphabet sheet and is able to spell out words but it is a very long process as you can imagine. I look forward to hearing from you again.

Answer:

I’m sorry, but I don’t know what question you want answered. It seems clear that he had a left hemisphere stroke that involves residual right sided weakness and expressive language problems. Symptoms can definitely vary throughout the day, so that is not surprising to me. If you are asking what can be done, I would recommend that you discuss this with your local physicians. Patients can benefit from speech and language therapy, even years after their stroke. There are some computer programs that might be useful for language practice, but this should be discussed with the speech and language pathologist who is working with him in therapy.

Go to the Stroke health topic, where you can:

Brett   Kissela, MD Brett Kissela, MD
Director, Neurology Residency Program