Treatment for vitiligo

04/20/2007

Question:

Kindly suggest me latest medicine to cure vitiligo at least to the extent to stop changing the skin colour to white which is gradualy spreading. I will be very greatful to you please.

Answer:

This question has been forwarded by Complementary Medicine:

Clinically proven effective treatments for vitiligo are limited to phototherapy, topical steroids, and topical calcineurin inhibitors (e.g. tacrolimus ointment and pimecrolimus cream). There are no new therapies I am aware of as being clinically effective in large groups of patients. For some patients, tanning bed use and sunlight exposure has been reported to be effective (in conjunction with use of topical medications) when they could not afford or find phototherapy medical centers.

Which therapy is most effective depends on the extent of involvement (percentage of body surface area), location of depigmentation, and activity of the condition. I would recommend you see a board certified dermatologist for treatment options.

Pranav   Sheth, MD Pranav Sheth, MD