Sarcoidosis

Sarcoidosis, myasthenia gravis and thyroid

04/19/2007

Question:

I was diagnosed with myastenia gravis last june and during the thymectomy, the biopsy showed sarcoidosis in my lymph nodes and subsequently in my lungs(chest xray). In addition, I have had a total thyroidectomy with two small pockets of cancer in the thyroid( one encapsulated and one not). My question concerns my balance and constant noise in both my ears. Is there any correlation with these symptoms and sarcoidosis in the brain? thanks.

Answer:

There have been a few published reports of tinnitis (ringing in the ears) and loss of balance in patients with neurosarcoidosis, but there are other potential causes of these symptoms. The best way to screen for sarcoidosis of the central nervous system is magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). If the MRI shows some abnormalities, further testing may be required to confirm that the abnormalities detected by MRI are actually caused by sarcoidosis.

Go to the Sarcoidosis health topic, where you can:

Elliott D Crouser, MD Elliott D Crouser, MD
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine