Sarcoidosis

Steroids and cholesterol

05/11/2007

Question:

I have been on prednisone for almost 3 yrs for systemic sarcoid. I am now on Cellcept too. My LDL (178)and cholesterol (248) is high...before the prednisone they were ok. Does steroids usually increase these values? I am insulin dependent diabetic since the steroids also but am glad to say my last A1C was 6.2.

Thank you for your time.

Answer:

Corticosteroids (steroids) typically used to treat active sarcoidosis certainly can promote hyperlipidemia and can worsen glucose control. It sounds like you are doing your best to manage the blood sugars. The options are to treat the lipid abnormalities medically or to phase in a medication that would replace the steroids.

Naturally, you should be on the lowest effective dose of the steroids to minimize these and other complications. You would have to consult your doctor to consider these options based on the activity of your sarcoidosis.

Go to the Sarcoidosis health topic, where you can:

Elliott D Crouser, MD Elliott D Crouser, MD
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine