Sarcoidosis

Sarcoid lead to lymphoma?

04/30/2007

Question:

I have been reading on sarcoid, after having been recently diagnosed through CT, PET and mediastinoscopy. My question is twofold: First, do numerous "hot spots" on PET correlate with symptomology or degree of involvement? My PET was so hot, in the chest, pelvis and groin that I wonder if that will be an indicator of how effected I may be now or in the future. Secondly, I have read a couple of articles that suggest that there is correlation in the literature between sarcoidosis and future development of lymphoma. What is your position on this? And thank you for your time.

Answer:

Dear Sir/Madam-

The relationship between PET activity and sarcoidosis disease activity is likely to correlate well.  To my knowledge, this question has not been specifically tested.  The likelihood of developing a malignancy (e.g., lung cancer or lymphoma) is open to debate. 

A large study conducted in a Danish population (555 patients) showed no increase in the risk of lung cancer or lymphoma.  Another study of smaller size (250 patients) showed the same thing.  There are many "anecdotes" reporting cancer and sarcoidosis together.  In those cases, sarcoidosis was found in the vicinity of a cancer. 

It is possible that a "sarcoidosis-like" response occurs in some people with cancer, but these cases do not support the notion that sarcoidosis caused the cancer.  Thus, it is prudent to look for signs of cancer in a person who is newly diagnosed with sarcoidosis.

Sincerely,

Go to the Sarcoidosis health topic, where you can:

Elliott D Crouser, MD Elliott D Crouser, MD
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine