Exercise and Fitness

Weight loss anguish!

05/14/2007

Question:

I am 26 years old and have been overwieght for a very long time. I recently joined a gym and am really enjoying it (It has been 5 weeks now). I have been doing 5 days of 40 minutes cardio, along with 4 days varied of arms and legs strength training. I have not lost one pound! I am so frustrated and discouraged that I feel like giving up and resigning myself to the fact that I will be heavy forever. I am at my wits end and want to know what is going on. I even joined weight watchers to furhter my efforts and NOTHING! Please help, if you can. THanks a bunch

Answer:

Believe it or not, you're doing very well, so don't give up.  My first suggestion is to change your thinking from "short-term" to "lifestyle" or "long-term".  Focus on the process and not the outcome.  If losing weight was as easy as putting it on, many of us in the fitness field would have to find different jobs.  My second suggestion to you would be to hire a personal trainer.  They'll be able to modify your exercise routine to better suit your goals.  Keep it up, you're on the right track.  Hope this helps.

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Jayme   Johnson, MS Jayme Johnson, MS
Program Manager
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley