Ear, Nose, and Throat Disorders

Maxillary sinus mucous retention cyst

05/03/2007

Question:

Hi, I have had sinus problems for years but just recently has made me so sick I could hardly stand. I received sinus xrays and the doctor told me I need to have surgery for a right maxillary sinus retention cyst. What does that mean? Do I have options? How does the surgery work and how long does it take to recover? Can it be outpatient or is it inpatient? My doctor did not know the answers to these questions and I cannot get an Sut referral for a doctor for a week. In the mean time, my job is asking questions as to how long I will be out etc.... could you please help me? I would appreciate the answers as soon as possible...Thank you so much!!

Answer:

Retention cysts in the maxillary sinuses usually do not cause sinus problems unless they are extremely large.  You should therefore make certain this is indeed the cause of your problem.  If so, this would be outpatient surgery.  Recovery time varies.  For some patients this lasts a few days, but typically not longer than a week.

Go to the Ear, Nose, and Throat Disorders health topic, where you can:

Lee   Zimmer, MD Lee Zimmer, MD
Assistant Professor or Otolaryngology, Director of Endoscopic Cranial Base Center