Exercise and Fitness

Rehabilitation of achilles tendon

05/14/2007

Question:

Almost 8 weeks ago I ruptured my Achilles Tendon in my right leg. I have been in a cast since then and am now with my foot level and allowed partial weight bearing. Since this injury was not operated on (I am not a top athlete and therefore not eligible) I am aware that there is a 10% chance of re-rupture in the first few weeks after removal of the cast. Can you suggest any exercises that I can do that will strengthen the tendon and help me to avoid re-rupture. I am willing to do anything that will help me to return to full fitness so that I can go hill walking, bird watching, ride my horse and work again?

Answer:

Voice your concerns to your physician and he should direct you to an appropriate physical therapist.  Many rehabilitation programs involve exercises to strengthen your leg muscles and Achilles tendon.  Studies show that most people return to their former level of activity within four to six months.  Keep in mind that the recovery depends not only on the quality of the rehab program, but also on your commitment to the recuperation process. 

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Jayme   Johnson, MS Jayme Johnson, MS
Program Manager
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley