Lung Cancer

Next testing step

05/14/2007

Question:

New finding on 1/16/07 CT Scan with Contrast, a 5-6mm faint nodular focus in right lower lobe laterally. Test was ordered due to getting bronchitis between November, 2006 and January, 2007 twice. This was compared to the same kind of test on 4/20/06 which was clear. A 3 month follow up is suggested and I have an appointment with a Pulmonary Specialist on 5/7/07. My question is: Should the same kind of test be done to compare, or would a PET Scan be the better test at this point? Please advise.

Answer:

A faint 5-6 mm nodular density in right lower lobe after two events of bronchitis may be from an infectious process such as pneumonia or bronchitis. The yield of a PET scan will not be able to detect a lesion so small. In this situation, it is reasonable to have a 3 month follow-up chest CT scan to document any change in the size shape or character of the lesion.

If it is getting larger then a PET scan or a biopsy (depending on the size, risk factors for lung cancer such as smoking exposure, family history) may be indicated after the three month follow-up CT.

Go to the Lung Cancer health topic, where you can:

Shaheen  Islam, MD, MPH Shaheen Islam, MD, MPH
Clinical Associate Professor
Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep
Hematology