Black eyes after a root canal?

05/03/2007

Question:

my brother had a root canal done yesterday. he woke up today throwing up. his whole face is swollen and both eyes are black. is this normal?

Answer:

Following certain root canals, a flare-up can develop. A flare-up is significant pain and/or swelling a few hours to a few days after treatment. This happens in about 10% of the population, and we can not predict when it will occur. A bruise can occur from the swelling and pressure put on the tissues in your face. We usually treat the symptoms of a flare-up with medications and some other adjuncts to help you feel better (i.e. ice packs, drinking fluids, rest, etc.). Vomiting could be from certain medications taken or drainage overnight. I would need more information to determine the exact cause.

I would suggest that your brother speaks with the person that performed the root canal so that they can treat his symptoms appropriately.

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics