Root canal filling

05/07/2007

Question:

HI,

Today I had my root canal done. All 3 root canals have been cleaned in my molar tooth. But no root canal fillings have been put as I told my dentist that I`m planning to place a crown on this tooth abroad because of the high costs associated with a high quality crown here (i`m planning to have a ceramic crown).

So after cleaning the canals, she only put a temporary filling that would last me several months. And she advised its best not to fill the root canals now and do the standard filling as it would be hard to remove these materials when i want to place the crown on this tooth later. She said the dentist abroad will do the root canal fillings after removing the temporary filling she has placed.

Currently i`m planning to go abroad in 2 or 3 months. Is what the dentist advised me correct or no? Should I have the root canal fillings done now even if i plan to put a crown later on this tooth?

Thanks for your advice

Answer:

There is always a risk in waiting, especially after a root canal has been started but not completed. Having the dentist who started the root canal finish it may be a better option since that dentist knows what twists and turns the canal made. However, if they do not feel comfortable finishing the case, they may wish to refer it to a specialist to complete.

The risk in waiting to have the root canal completed is that the temporary filling may begin to break-down and leak. This, in-turn, could lead to re-infection of the root canal. There is also a risk in having the root canal completed by someone who does not have the training or experience that a specialist may have. A poorly done root canal may lead to problems that even the best crown cannot prevent.

Be sure the dentist you plan to see to complete this work has the training and experience so that you have a great outcome.

John M Nusstein, DDS John M Nusstein, DDS
Associate Professor of Endodontics