Exercise and Fitness

Shoes

05/15/2007

Question:

I am restaring a walking regime after an injury,fell down the steps. I have purchased shoes but they don`t feel good on my arch or heel after I start walking. I am a plus sized person but was walking 1.5 miles a day 3 days a week, plus walking at lunchtime. What type of shoe can I get or would be best?

Answer:

There are a few basics for selecting walking shoes:

1) Look for a low, supportive heel that rounds in. A thick heel or one that flares out will cause your foot to slap down rather than roll. This slows down forward momentum and increases the occurrence of sore shins.

2) A walker's foot hits heel first and then rolls gradually from heel-to-toe. Thus, you will need a flexible sole and more bend in the toe than a runner. You should be able to twist and bend the toe area.

3) Next, look for a shoe that is lightweight and breathable.

4) The most important thing of course is a shoe that fits properly. Be sure your foot has enough room in the toe area. There should be a thumbnails width between your toes and the end of the shoe. The shoe should be wide enough in the toe that your toes can move freely. Your heel should not slip, and the shoe should not pinch or bind, especially across the arch or ball of your foot.

5) Go shoe shopping at the end of the day or after your walk when your feet may be slightly swollen. Also be sure to wear the same socks you will be wearing during your walks. This can make a huge difference in how the shoe fits.

6) Keep track of how many miles you have put on your shoes, and replace them every 300 to 600 miles. (If you are wearing very light weight shoes, are overweight, or you are hard on your shoes stay toward the low end on mileage.) To extend the life of your shoes be sure to only wear them only for your walks. Also rotating two pair of shoes will give them time to "bounce back" between walks.

These are factors to keep in mind when purchasing your next walking shoes.

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Rachael   Dotson, BS Rachael Dotson, BS
Program Manager
Certified Johnny G Spinning Instructor
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley