Dental Hygiene

Deep rooted cleaning

05/11/2007

Question:

My dentist is telling me I need this procedure done. I disagree. My gums are in good condition, they don`t bleed, are not sensitve and I floss regularly.

Is this a necessary procedure or is he just trying to make more money?

Answer:

If you have any doubt I would suggest a second opinion. It is possible that a patient will not have bleeding when they floss but still have heavier calculus (tarter) that needs deep scaling. If the floss is not getting under the gum line, it doesn’t cleanse properly and the calculus builds up. Also, if a patient is a smoker, the tissues do not receive proper oxygen and circulation which will mask the bleeding. Periodontal disease unfortunately is silent, so many patients that need a deep scaling do not have sensitivity.

A second opinion will help in your decision to seek treatment. If you have had x-rays taken of your teeth, you will need to take a copy of them with you to the new office.

Go to the Dental Hygiene health topic, where you can:

Wendy  J Moore, RDH, EFDA, BS, MS Wendy J Moore, RDH, EFDA, BS, MS
Clinical Associate Professor of Dental Hygiene