Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Aneurysm and genetics

06/01/2007

Question:

My mother had a calcified aneurysm near her pituitary gland. She had a TIA and that was how it was discovered. She passed away several years ago from other health problems. My question is this: my brother had 2 aneursyms (not calcified) and had surgery to fix. He`s doing ok today.

Since both my mother and brother had aneurysms, should I be concerned about my children (ages 21-31)and a possible genetic connection. One of my daughters has migraines and I have wondered about this.

Answer:

The guidelines state that if two first degree relatives have aneurysms then you should be screened with either MRA of brain or CT angiogram of the brain. Your childrens' chance of having aneurysms is very slim. However, if the MRA/CT angiogram screening shows that you too have aneurysm then I suggest screening for your children.

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Yousef  Mohammad, MD, MSc Yousef Mohammad, MD, MSc
Director, Stroke Fellowship Program