Lung Cancer

My father

05/16/2007

Question:

my father has been caughing for 5 years and it is bad strainful caughing. And I want to know what we should do to find out what it is and what you think it is. He will caugh and some times so hard he cant breath properly. He had an x ray and they found scarring of the lunges. So can it be cancer or deterating of the lunges? I hope not but please give me some feed back.

Answer:

If your father is or was a smoker, he may have COPD which can cause a cough.  If the cough is new or changing, he should see his doctor.  His doctor may want to order a CAT scan of the chest.  This gives more information about the lungs.  Most coughs are not caused by cancer.  However, your father's doctors should make sure that cancer is ruled out.  If your father is still smoking, the best thing that he can do for his health is to quit.  I hope this helps. 

Go to the Lung Cancer health topic, where you can:

Sandra L Starnes, MD Sandra L Starnes, MD
Assistant Professor of Surgery