Pain Management

Tennis Elbow and Full Arm Pain

05/22/2007

Question:

I have been recently diagnose with tennis elbow, I have pain in my shoulder also. Plus in my left hand my pinkie finger and my ring finger is numb an the 2 finger tips are sore. Could all this come from Tennis elbow. Also when I sit my elbow down on a table with arm bent a tingle shoots to my hand. My doctor told me to wear a wrist splint at night when I sleep, I've noticed if I wear it 24 hrs a day it seems to feel better.

Answer:

It is unlikely that tennis elbow (aka lateral epicondylitis) is responsible for all your symptoms. A herniated disc in the neck (cervical) spine can explain your symptoms. Alternatively, ulnar nerve (the ‘funny bone’ nerve) injury may explain some of your symptoms (in the hand and elbow). Obtaining an MRI of the cervical spine and possibly an EMG will help clarify the diagnosis. You may need to see a Neurologist and after diagnosis a Pain Medicine specialist.

Go to the Pain Management health topic, where you can:

Salim M Hayek, MD, PhD Salim M Hayek, MD, PhD
Associate Professor of Anesthesiology & Perioperative Medicine