NetWellness is a global, community service providing quality, unbiased health information from our partner university faculty. NetWellness is commercial-free and does not accept advertising.
Sunday, May 29, 2016
Bipolar Disorder (Children and Adolescents)
Helping Siblings Cope with Brothers/Sisters with Bipolar Disorder
Is there any easy to read material to help young siblings cope with their older much adored sibling who has begun to show drastic mood swings and has been diagnosed as bipolar.
Hello and thank you for your excellent question. In terms of recommending "easy to read" books "to help siblings cope" with older sibling who have been diagnosed with bipolar, I'd suggest:
- Turbo Max: A Story For Siblings of Bipolar Children -- T. Anglada.
The following books are for younger kids who have mood problems, but they could be used to help a younger sibling understand their older sibling challenges:
- Brandon & the Bipolar Bear --T. Anglada
- The Storm in My Brain -- Child & Adolescent Bipolar Foundation (CABF): 1-847-492-8519, http://www.bpkids.org/site/PageServer
- Matt, The Moody Hermit Crab -- C. McGee
- My Bipolar Roller Coaster Feelings Book –- B. Hebert
All these books are available from the Child & Adolescent Bipolar Foundation (CABF), 1-847-492-8519
Hope that helps. Best wishes.
Nicholas Lofthouse, PhD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Psychiatry
College of Medicine
The Ohio State University