Breast Feeding

Breastmilk

05/18/2007

Question:

DOES BRESTMILK STOP COMING IN ON IT`S OWN OR DO YOU HAVE TO STOP NURSING YOUR BABY BECAUSE MY MILK IS`NT COMING IN AS GOOD AS I WOULD LIKE IT TO. MY BABY EATS MORE THEN I HAVE TO GIVE HER

Answer:

This is a difficult question to answer because there are many variables. For instance I don't know your baby's age, and if you exclusively breastfeeding.

Babies typically go through growth spurts, and it takes a few days for your milk supply to catch up with your baby’s needs. Milk production is based on infants demand for milk. So…if you supply is not enough, your baby will generally nurse more often, and then your body will begin to make more milk.

There are other things which can impair milk production, these include: stress, alcohol caffeine and some medications can also affect milk production. If you are pregnant your milk supply will decrease.

It might be helpful for you to meet with a lactation consultant in your community who will be able to give you the personal assistance that you need to get through this time.

Go to the Breast Feeding health topic, where you can:

Tina   Weitkamp, RNC, MSN Tina Weitkamp, RNC, MSN
Associate Professor of Clinical Nursing