Dental and Oral Health Center

Gum blister

05/18/2007

Question:

I was looking to see if the drain of a gum blister is a proper thing to do and does this aid in the healing of the affected area? This problem has reoccurred numerous times and each time it results in extreme swelling, thus causing my molars to rise up. This changes how my bite comes together. Needless to say, my diet gets all thrown off! Other articles state that bad nutrition is sometimes the cause of these eruptions on the gums. So, when I have this situation happening, how and what can I eat,as not to get run down enough to cause another sore to form?

Answer:

You should see a dentist for evaluation. "Gum boils" are usually the result of either deep periodontal (gum) infection or a non-vital (dead nerve) tooth. Draining the blister will not cure the problem. Because these infections can sometimes become severe, you should be examined by a dentist as soon as reasonably possible. Diet typically has nothing to do with this type of problem.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health Center health topic, where you can:

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor of Oral Pathology