Gum Diseases

Pus collects on my gum

05/23/2007

Question:

Hello. A few years ago I had a root canal done on my tooth and then a crown was put on it, but then later I noticed that on my gum next to that tooth some sort of pus gets collected. I popped that pus and it went away for a while. Then it came back again and I did the same thing again. Now, a few years later, this pus gets collected next to that tooth almost every week. I keep popping it to reduce the pressure. Some blood comes out and it seems to get better for a short period of time, but a few days later again the same thing. What is it that I have? Thank you.

Answer:

It is not normal to have pus coming from your gums. Popping it out is not a treatment. Probably you are having some type of food impaction, or you have secondary decay under the crown margins or even it may be a little root fracture. You should visit a dentist. They will take an X-ray and try to determine what is causing the problem.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology