Erectile Dysfunction (ED)

ED or not?

06/06/2007

Question:

Hello! I`m 36 years old, in pretty good health, and for several years I have problems with my erection. I can achieve erection, but with difficulty and for just a few minutes (unless I`m keeping myself very close to ejaculating). For a long time I thought that my problem is psychological. But recently I became aware of an interesting fact: I have such a problem only with the outer part of my penis. The part that is inside of my body, and even about an inch outside of my body, is functioning normally, meaning that it gets very hard when I`m sexually aroused (rock hard or bone hard, literally!) and it can stay like that for half an hour or even up to couple of hours (for as long as I`m focused on the object of my arousal). I went to see my doctor about this problem, but she just laughed and disregarded it as an psychological problem. She said that as long as I can get an erection, there is nothing wrong with me, and suggested that I visit an psychiatrist. Is she right? Could this state be normal (half of my penis being fully erect, and half of it completely limp), or do I have some physical problem?

Answer:

You should seek out a urologist to look for organic or physical causes for your penile erection problem.

Go to the Erectile Dysfunction (ED) health topic, where you can:

Allen D Seftel, MD Allen D Seftel, MD
Formerly, Professor of Urology