Prostate Cancer

Is My Use of Catheter Unusually Long?

05/31/2007

Question:

I had seed implant on June 5 last year and I am unable to go without the catheter since then. I am currently with a supra pubic device and recently had uridynamics testing and it showed that the prostate was smaller but my bladder is still unable to work properly. The doctor will be doing a partial scraping soon.

Is my situation with having the catheter this long unusual?

Answer:

Your situation is unusual but not unheard of. I presume your doctor has examined the prostate with cystoscope, and that the urodynamics was normal with respect to the bladder. You should ask about temporary hormone treatment unless that was a part of your prostate cancer treatment or other forms of prostate reduction with medication such as Avodart. "Scraping" the prostate after seed implants is associated with other voiding problems that your doctor should discuss with you before surgery.

Go to the Prostate Cancer health topic, where you can:

James F Donovan, Jr, MD James F Donovan, Jr, MD
Professor of Surgery
Director of UC Urology