Gum Diseases

Gum pain

06/05/2007

Question:

Just recently I`ve developped a hole in the gum in front of the first molar on the bottom left. I thought that it was a scar made by the toothbrush and disregarded it for a while. A few days later I started developping the same type of hole on the bottom right side. Although it is much smaller this will begin to grow as well. My gums on the top near the incisors and the first molars are also beginning to cause pain although there are no evident holes yet. However, they do bleed during brushing.

I feel as though it`s not gingivitis nor periodontitis... What could I possibly have?

Answer:

It seems to me that you are developing "vesicles". If I am correct, this is a viral infection generally caused by herpes. It should go away approximately within 10 days. Surprisingly, you are not talking about pain. So, I may be wrong. Nevertheless, you need to visit a periodontist.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology