Sarcoidosis

Is it sarcoidosis or not?

06/01/2007

Question:

I was recently diagnosed with sarcoidosis. At the same time time, I began having allergy-type symptoms (sinus drainage, runny nose), and also had a skin biopsy which showed fungus on my skin and in the follicles. CT scan also showed enlarged lymph nodes in my chest.

Are these all related? Does this sound like sarcoidosis? Thank you.

Answer:

Sarcoidosis and fungal infections can sometimes be difficult to distinguish from one another. If there is fungal infection in the lungs or lymph nodes, then you probably do not have sarcoidosis. By the same token, if the fungal skin infection is localized and is not associated with "granulomas" (the hallmark of sarcoidosis), they may be unrelated. That is, you may have fungal skin infection with sarcoidosis involving the lymph nodes of the chest. With appropriate testing your doctors should be able to make this distinction.

This is the time of year for allergies to activate, which could explain your sinus symptoms. This being said, sarcoidosis can involve the sinuses leading to sinus blockage or recurrent sinus infections. Again, this is a condition that your doctors can help you with.

Go to the Sarcoidosis health topic, where you can:

Elliott D Crouser, MD Elliott D Crouser, MD
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine